MIEC is seeking an Accountant for our Oakland, CA office.
About the role
Our new Accountant will be a key contributor to Accounting Team, as well as provide support and analysis to Senior Management. They will report directly to the Assistant Controller for financial reporting and general ledger duties and to CFO and Controller for financial planning and analysis, budget and special projects.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Lead role in maintenance and implementation of enhancements of general ledger software. To include all modules, security, chart of accounts and reporting capabilities.
- Responsible for performing special projects to improve process efficiency and performance. Areas can include:
- Processing of accounts payable and claim payments
- Processing of accounts receivable
- Automation of transactional feeds to general ledger (payroll, operating expenses, etc.)
- Act as Accounting Department liaison for general ledger and other software as assigned.
- Review and research accounting transactions for compliance with GAAP and Statutory accounting guidance.
- Responsible for performing month-end, quarter-end and year-end accounting entries and reconciliations; financial reporting; analysis and financial disclosures for assigned functional areas. Areas can include:
- Direct Premium, Commission and/or Losses
- Assumed and Ceded Reinsurance
- Operating Expenses
- Cash and Investments
- Payroll and Employee Benefits
- Fixed Assets
- Responsible for the preparation of periodic management reporting and variance analysis of financial results for assigned functional areas.
- Responsible for preparation of schedules and exhibits for statutory and audited financial statements for assigned functional areas.
- Assist with statutory, tax and other filing requirements.
- Research and prepare variance analysis and explanations.
- Prepare journal entries related to assigned functional responsibilities.
- Cross train as back-up for other staff to provide routine and emergency coverage to assigned functions.
- Other duties or special projects as required by the Department.
- Understanding of accounting processes, procedure and internal controls.
- Knowledge of general ledger accounting systems and data base reporting tools.
- Knowledge of investments; investment reporting and analysis.
- Knowledge of StoneRiver GL and AP modules and Statutory Annual Statement software a plus.
- Ability to generate bold, creative ideas to improve performance.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Strong presentation skills, organizational and time management skills.
- Advanced proficiency with PC applications (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Effectively plan, organize, assign and maintain priorities of work assignments.
- Comply with file documentation standards and ensure all information necessary for others to complete their tasks is present at workflow hand-off.
- Demonstrate sound independent judgment and good analytic ability in solving problems.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationship with public and other professionals.
- Demonstrate effective teamwork and collaboration by working with others throughout MIEC.
- Proven ability to work on a team or operate independently.
- Proven success in high volume environment requiring personal organization, multitasking, and regular reprioritization with short turnaround time on items of high impact.
- Research and problem resolution while working under pressure and within time constraints.
- Strong customer service skills in communicating with internal and external customers with ability to effectively handle incoming calls and deal with difficult situations.
- Seeks feedback regarding his/her own performance and capabilities; recognizes and acknowledges personal strengths and development opportunities.
- Maintain confidentiality.
Education and experience:
- BA/BS degree in Accounting or related field required.
- Minimum 5-6 years of relevant experience.
If you are interested in learning more about this opportunity, please submit a resume to email@example.com by 8/2/2019.
As the first truly physician owned medical professional liability insurer on the west coast, MIEC has always been guided by the desire to protect physicians and the practice of medicine. In doing so we have always clearly seen our mission To provide innovative and cost effective medical professional liability protection and patient safety services for physicians and other healthcare professionals. As a reciprocal exchange we are owned by the members we protect and are dedicated to serving their interests.
MIEC was founded in 1975 by physicians and their medical societies during a time of crisis when commercial insurance was not readily available or cost prohibitive to the medical community. We are committed to a long-term philosophy of business conduct that ensures that such a crisis never happens again.
We believe in reducing the expense of Medical Professional Liability Insurance through:
- Careful risk selection, stable and responsible pricing.
- Fairness and transparency in charging premiums that reflect the different risk characteristics of our members
- Professional and uncompromising claim defense
- Practical and effective Patient Safety initiatives that help improve outcomes and reduce the number and severity of claims.
- Sensible investment of financial assets.
- Efficient internal operations staffed by experienced and dedicated professionals.
MIEC is an EEO employer, we enjoy diversity in our staff, insured and business partners.