Who is MIEC
As the West’s first truly physician-owned medical malpractice insurer, MIEC has always been guided by the desire to protect physicians and the practice of medicine. In doing so we have always clearly seen our mission To Provide Innovative and Cost-Effective Medical Professional Liability Protection and Patient Safety Services for Physicians and Other Healthcare Professionals.
MIEC is a Medical Professional Liability Insurer (MPLI) that is owned by the members we insure. We are dedicated to serving their interests.
This organization was created by physicians and their medical societies out of a crisis when insurance was unavailable to the medical community. We are committed to a long term philosophy of business conduct that ensures that such a crisis never happens again.
We believe in reducing the expense of providing Medical Professional Liability Insurance through:
- Careful risk selection, stable and responsible pricing,
- Fairness and transparency in charging premiums that reflect the different risk characteristics of our members,
- Professional and uncompromising claim defense,
- Practical and effective Patient Safety initiatives that improve outcomes and reduce the number and severity of claims,
- Sensible investment of financial assets and,
- Efficient internal operations staffed by experienced professionals.
MIEC’s client retention rate speaks for itself.
- Nearly 90% of claims against MIEC policyholders are closed without indemnification payment.
- Over 80% of the cases we take to trial result in defense verdicts.