MIEC understands that when physicians have more resources available to them that they are better able to determine the best means of ensuring the quality of wellness for both themselves and their practice, which then leads to a greater quality of care for their patients.
The purpose of these webpages are to provide a toolbox of relevant resources for physicians and their practice, whether it’s to improve the administrative efficiency of their office or access the appropriate wellness tools for themselves and other staff.
- Patient Safety and Risk Management
- AMA Steps Forward Resource Library
- Wellness Tools
Know Your State Medical Board
The Know Your State Medical Board (KYSMB) document is a PDF pamphlet that can be downloaded over the internet. The purpose of the pamphlet and checklist is to provide an overview of the legal proceedings involved in State Medical Board discipline procedures and provide a broad understanding of the legal protections, or lack thereof, in each state.
This document is not an exhaustive overview of each state’s medical board laws. It is also not a source of legal advice. Instead it can be understood as a “wish list” of key details. Each check list covers major state regulatory related to topics such as Filing Complaints, Notice to Practitioner, Investigation of Practitioner, and Hearing/Review/ Judicial Decision Process. This document plainly expresses that laws and regulations constantly change and may not reflect the current laws of a particular state.
- KYSMB is a PDF document available for download online
- It provides an overview and checklist of the legal proceedings involved in State Medical Board discipline procedures
- It provides a broad understanding of the legal protections, or lack thereof, in each state
- It is not an exhaustive overview of each state’s medical board laws
- All readers should be aware that laws and regulations constantly change and may not reflect the current laws of a particular state
The purpose of this article is to express the challenges of reporting a fellow physician with substance abuse problems. It further discusses the ethical issues and the consequences of a physician being investigate and treated for substance abuse.
The article points out other possible causes to a suspect physician behavior (such as sleep deprivation and fatigue). The article also describes the function of Physician Health Providers (PHP), which oversee and manage a physician’s treatment program, including their value and possible biases/abuses of their authority. The article explains the damage false reporting of a substance abuse problem could have on a physician’s patients and practice. Also, it explains the risks of not reporting a substance abuse problem could have on a physician’s patients. Finally, the article explains the lack of oversight of PHPs and the consequence due to this negligence.
- The article discusses the problems with reporting a fellow physician of substance abuse
- It discusses the ethical issue/consequences of a physician being investigate/ treated for substance abuse
- It considers that some non-substance abuse problems such as sleep deprivation may be the cause of erratic/suspicious behavior
- It explains the lack of proper oversight of many PHPs and the consequences
Going Out on Temporary Disability (California)
The purpose of SDI Online is to provide a portal to apply for California disability insurance benefits. This website offers convenient and secure online claim filing and management options, which are simple to use and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
California’s disability insurance program offers two services for employees in the state: Disability Insurance (DI) and Paid Family Leave (PFL). DI, which was established in 1946, offers short-term benefits to eligible California workers who have a loss of wages when they are unable to work due to a non-work-related illness, injury, or pregnancy. PFL offer benefits to individuals who need to take time off work to care for the following individuals: a seriously ill child, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or registered domestic partner, or to bond with a new child entering the family through birth, adoption, or foster care placement.
To file a DI or PFL claim on SDI Online, you must first complete a one-time registration to establish a Benefit Programs Online account, which is explained on their homepage
- SDI Online provides a portal to apply for California disability insurance benefits, either Disability Insurance (DI) or Paid Family Leave (PFL)
- DI offers short-term benefits for works are unable to work due to a non-work-related illness, injury, or pregnancy
- PFL offers benefits to individuals who need to take time off work to care for a variety of designate family members and loved ones (see summer for more details
- To utilize SDI Online, you must first complete a one-time registration to establish a Benefit Programs Online account (see their homepage for more details)
Physician Litigation Stress Resource Center
The purpose of Physician Litigation Stress Resource Center (PLSTC) website is to provide resources and support for physicians facing medical malpractice litigation.
The Website was founded by medical professionals for medical professionals. It offers both emotional support and objective information to get through the process and prevail over litigation. It is not a replacement for personal counseling or group support. Resources available on the website include support resources, online support outside the website, resources explaining the legal process and offer information on what one experience, and a bibliography compilation of relevant books and articles.
- PLSTC website offer resources and support for Physicians facing medical malpractice litigation
- It was founded by medical professionals for medical professionals
- The site is not a replacement for counseling or support groups
- Site offers a variety of resources including online information, and a compilation of recommended books and articles
Physician Litigation Stress
The Physician Litigation Stress Resource Center (PLSRC) is an online resource for physicians and other health professionals seeking information about stress and wellness issues resulting from medical malpractice litigation and provides resources to improve wellness during these stressful litigation procedures.
PLSRC includes support resources invaluable to physicians including links to both private and government programs to seek assistance. PLSRC also offers lists of relevant books and articles that physicians can use as a resource for improved wellness and optimum health during stressful ligation. Finally, the PLSRC has a library of its own articles on relieving stress, seeking help, finding support, and an assessment of stress.
- PLSRC is a resource for information about stress and wellness issues resulting from medical malpractice litigation
- Offers a library of its own articles on relieving stress, seeking help, finding support, and an assessment of stress.
- Includes support resources invaluable to physicians with articles on relieving stress, seeking help, finding support, and an assessment of stress
- Provides sources and links in both private and government programs to seek assistance
- Offers a list of relevant books and outside articles that physicians can use as a resource for improved wellness and optimum health during stressful ligation
Patient Safety and Risk Management
We are leaders in identifying and communicating state of the art risk management techniques. As a policyholder, you can request a complementary onsite survey of your practice at any time to help identify ways to reduce your liability risk and improve your chances of prevailing if you are accused of medical negligence.
Email our PSRM team at firstname.lastname@example.org
The purpose of Steps Forward is “to provide you with proven strategies that can improve practice efficiency and help you reach the Quadruple Aim—better patient experience, better population health, and lower overall costs with improved professional satisfaction.”
This website, which is an initiative of the American Medical Association (AMA), offers a practice-based program consisting of various modules aimed at improving the efficacy of your medical practice, elevating the quality of a practice’s care, and improves the wellness of staff. Offering strategies, insights, and ideas; Steps Forward modules consist of the following topics: patient care, workflow and process, leading practice change, professional well-being, and technology/finance. To better target your specific needs, Steps Forward offers an assessment test to determine which modules a physician should focus on for improvement of their medical practice.
- Offers proven strategies, insights, and ideas that can improve practice efficiency
- Designed for medical practices to reach the Quadruple Aim—better patient experience, better population health, and lower overall costs with improved professional satisfaction
- Consists of various module topics: patient care, workflow and process, leading practice change, professional well-being, and technology/finance
- Created as an initiative of the American Medical Association (AMA)